(VIDEO) $3.6 BILLION Released By Federal Appeals Court For Trump's Border Wall
A federal appeals court based in New Orleans has lifted a block placed by a lower court on military aid President Trump's administration wants to use to build a wall along the southern border.
"Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!" President Trump tweeted Thursday morning. He said the ruling "gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall."
So far, and amid dogged resistance by Democratic legislators, Trump’s deputies have upgraded roughly 100 miles of older wall. The extra money — which was transferred from other spending programs by President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration — will allow the agencies to construct another 174 miles of wall, including new wall on stretches of the border which lack any barrier.
The unsigned appeals court ruling said little about the reason for its decision, noting only that the U.S. Supreme Court recently put a hold on a similar ruling from a federal court in California. In lifting that stay in July, the Supreme Court said the groups opposed to the wall did not have the proper legal status to challenge the project in court.
The ruling clears the way for the administration to continue to peruse border security projects in the region for now, but more appeals and legal challenges are likely.